woven drawstring sleep shorts drafted from ready to wear

Woven drawstring sleep shorts drafted from ready to wear

Pants (and shorts) fitting is an ongoing endeavor for me. One day at the mill ends and remnants fabric store, I picked up a couple of yards of printed fabric (meandering little duck footprints I think??) for cheap. My intention was to get fabric I don’t care about and sew some bottoms to see if I can zero in on a good pants block. At least it’s 100% cotton! PATTERN Self-drafted pattern from a pair of ready-to-wear shorts (also knit version) Project features self-drafted pattern drawstring with casing finished seam allowances Process notes finished seam allowances with serger joined side seams and waistband…

sleeve detail on chambray button-down shirt

Epic chambray shirt

I watched the Craftsy class The Classic Tailored Shirt all the way through some time ago, but never felt motivated to actually make the shirt. Although I was inspired by the hand-stitched collar band process when designing and making my Tailored Dog Jacket. When I watched The Gunman the other day on Netflix, the chambray button down shirts that some of the characters wore stuck in my mind. I decided I needed to have a shirt like that. These shirts were certainly not classic tailored shirts, but the class helped me get through the confusing pattern instructions that came with McCall’s…

Simplicity 1202 woven cap sleeve blouse detail

Wardrobe Architect Project: Cap Sleeve Blouse

The final garment to sew for my Summer 2015 wardrobe project was going to be the Simplicity 1693 blouse in a blue-and-white striped fabric. But I took a detour after: reading that the sleeve on that top was rather voluminous re-watching the One Pattern, Many Looks: Blouses class and feeling inspired to draft my own custom design drafting my own  blouse from my sloper from that class, including cap sleeves sewing a muslin from said self-drafted pattern and getting totally stuck because the cap sleeves did NOT behave as I wanted (they were far too tight across my arm no matter what I did to try to…

Linen drawstring shorts copied from ready to wear

Wardrobe Architect Project: Linen Drawstring Shorts

My Summer 2015 wardrobe project originally include a chambray gathered skirt. But my test muslin was far from flattering, so I called an audible and switched it to a pair of linen shorts. PATTERN I drafted my own pattern from a pair of knit drawstring shorts using the skills I learned in Steffani Lincecum’s fantastic Craftsy class Pattern Drafting from Ready-to-Wear. Project features self-drafted pattern drawstring with casing front patch pockets bartacks Process notes traced the pattern pieces using Steffani’s techniques before making the muslin, added to the side seams to accommodate a woven fabric (the original shorts are knit), and adjusted…

Simplicity 1696 Olive Ankle Pants

Wardrobe Architect Project: Olive Ankle Pants

Next up for my Summer 2015 wardrobe project is sewing the olive ankle pants. Pattern Simplicity 1696 Amazing Fit Pants Project features front zip fly with bar tack hook closure mock welt pockets waistline facing 4-piece waistband for fitting slip-stitched hem Process notes made size 12 average fit made a fitting muslin, then took quite a bit off of the crotch/inseam on the pack piece and lowered the front waistline a little used a 100% cotton twill (no stretch) omitted front pockets omitted carriers (belt loops) finished waistband facing with serger instead of bias binding Results I’m so glad I started with a fitting muslin…