Marcus Fabrics Aunt Grace Ties One On #5369 in navy and white
Robert Kaufman Kona Cotton in a taupe shade (possibly Cobblestone)
Robert Kaufman Kona Cotton in Sage
Pellon SF101 Shape-Flex woven fusible interfacing
Pellon 987F Fusible Fleece
Customized fabric measurements for iPad 2:
8 3/4 x 11 for exterior, lining, and pocket
7 3/4 x 10 for coordinating interfacing/fleece pieces
Equipment and settings:
Microtex 80/12 needle for most of the project, except for the final assembly used Jeans 100/16
used default stitch length settings for straight stitches
basting stitch #06
for topstitching around the opening, used 0.0/3.5 stitch with edge joining foot
used pinking shears to trim seam allowances
tried using the open toe foot to stitch the seam on the flap, but the fabric didn’t stay flat around the curves, so that didn’t work very well
switched stitch length to 1.8 around curves
for top stitching the flap used 0/3.5 with the edge joining foot on the straight parts and 0/3 around the curve
for buttonhole used 5.0/.3
I ran into some confusion with the flap pattern piece in the back of the book because it says to cut 2 of the woven interfacing, but the written instructions say to cut 1 fusible fleece and 1 woven interfacing. I followed the written instructions and it worked great.
It was challenging to sew the seams when constructing the exterior pieces because the presser foot kept wanting to squish the thick part of the fabric out to the side. So my seams there are wobblier than I’d like. It’s definitely something to practice! It might have helped to put a thick, folded piece of fabric on the right side of the foot to even it out.
I’m really happy with how the final case turned out — it looks very crisp, polished, and professional. My iPad is a really tight fit along the sides (the height is perfect) so if I make another I’ll add extra ease into the width so it’s easier to get in and out.
A friend recently asked me if I’d like to make a cover for his new Kindle. Um, yes! He liked the green houndstooth Fair Isle sleeve I’d made for my husband, and likes red and black. Other than that, he was pretty open. So I suggested a few directions, including a video game theme because he’s a big gamer, and he selected a Space Invaders theme. I would have enjoyed making any of the ideas, but I was particularly excited to do something unconventional like Space Invaders.
This project was a great learning experience. The first yarn I bought was way too thick to accommodate the stitch pattern given the dimensions of the Kindle. The thinner yarn I replaced it with worked better, but it was still a challenge. I used size 0 needles, which seems to have affected the stretch and give in the finished piece because it’s not very stretchy. I might have fared better going down even more in yarn weight and using a size 5 needle.
After settling on my yarn and needles, I tested the fitting every so often and found that despite making a gauge swatch and customizing the stitch pattern for my specs, it was too tight. This required starting over a few times to get it back on track. My experience has pretty consistently been that my gauge swatch is looser than my final knitted piece for some reason.
Once I got the sizing right, things rolled along very well and it was completed in about a (big) day’s work. After blocking it, the Space Invaders Kindle Cozy was off to its new home.
After knitting a Kindle cozy for my husband I wanted one for myself. I love the way cabled knitting looks, so for mine I used some yarn from my stash and settled on the Celtic Cable stitch pattern from Super Stitches Knitting for this cozy, adapting it for circular knitting.
This is such a luxurious, cozy piece it really made me want to knit a big soft cabled sweater. And the Malabrigo is ultra decadent.
I managed to get the purl stitches right on my kitchener stitch for this piece, but the knit stitches are twisted and weird. I finally went to my local yarn shop where they helped me understand better what to look for with this stitch. Since then, I’ve been able to get it working right. I also consulted the Craftsy.com course Ins & Outs of Grafting, which was helpful.
This is basically a sock for a Kindle, and is my first Fair Isle project. The houndstooth stitch pattern is from Super Stitches Knitting. It was a really good stitch pattern to start with because it’s a simple one at just 4 stitches.
I love this houndstooth pattern, and will probably make something else with it at this point.
The yarn is Cascade Yarns Ultra Pima, which is 100% cotton. I learned that cotton is tricky with Fair Isle because it doesn’t have the stretch and give that a wool yarn has. While it technically fits around the Kindle, it’s not stretchy enough to make it easy to use.