3-A-Week Challenge wrap-up

My primary art-making goal for October was to create three paintings a week as a way to put more of what I’m learning in Matt Smith’s online mentorship program into real-world experience. I started out strong! I met my weekly goal the first three weeks of the month, then fell off as I got focused on other things. It was a super valuable project and even though I didn’t fully reach my goal in numbers, I’m very happy with completing nine studies for the month. I submitted several of them for Matt to consider during his bi-monthly critique sessions and…

STL design assignment 3 Oct 18 2019

Design study 3 (3-A-Week Challenge)

I used a photo from our Yellowstone trip as inspiration for this study. The photo is actually horizontal, but when I did the notans during the planning stage the vertical format was more interesting to me. I forgot to do the main value masses — my system is breaking down! lol When I started blocking in the main color shapes it was looking super chaotic and I wasn’t sure I’d be able to pull it together at all. But for the most part it’s making sense. The bright yellow flowers in the lower left could be placed in a better…

Design study 2 (3-A-Week Challenge)

I chose a photo from our Yellowstone trip for this study in design. The full photo is an amazing view that stretches for miles and includes a dramatic cloudy sky, but for this study I cropped down to the land and put the focus on the road leading back into the scene. It’s hard to tell, but the blue at the top isn’t sky — it’s another layer of mountains turned blue from atmospheric perspective. My focus was to move some elements around in order to create a visual path that zig zags from foreground to background. I used saturation…

Design study 1 (3-A-Week Challenge)

This week I’m focusing on the next topic in Matt Smith’s online mentorship program: design. For this study, I used a reference photo that I’m just crazy about because of the way the low sun is casting long blue-violet shadows across the snow, with the contrast of the warm-colored shrubs. The designing of this one involved removing our old car that was in the shot and rearranging some of the brushy elements to help move the eye around the visual path I was going for. I also made note of where I wanted strong value, color, and saturation contrast as…

Value study 6 (3-A-Week Challenge)

I’m wrapping up this series of studies focusing on values with a reference photo from our Grand Teton/Yellowstone trip. I’m pretty happy with how the water and trees are looking, but I felt pretty stuck on the big areas of rock. The main problem I had was uncertainty about simplifying the colors shapes in the rocks, so they turned out really fuzzy and soft looking. Plus I couldn’t get a sharp edge on my brush, even though it was a flat. I think the issue is a combination of too little paint, and uncertain mark making. I mixed color value…