|Working in some atmospheric perspective along with lost edges|
This is primarily a study in lost edges, focused on the dark values. I also worked on composition and atmospheric perspective.
- Started with notan thumbnail sketches from a reference photo to get familiar with the shapes and shadow areas
- Mixed color piles on white palette paper for deep shadow, shallow shadow, and low light in three basic colors (green, red violet, and blue)
- Sketched key shapes onto panel with diluted transparent earth red, making a notan on the panel
- Painted shadow shapes size 4 flat bristle brush in single general color, then added red violet to green areas
- Painted not-in-shadow shapes in single color
- Refined with color variations, details, defined edges using 2 long filbert
What I learned
Taking the time to do the thumbnail sketches and notan before working on the panel helped make this such a better experience for me compared to the last study. It made placing the elements on the panel more accurate than when I skip that step. And that made me more relaxed so I could reach a state of flow better.
I’ve made color value lines for the last several studies, and with two lines that seemed to work pretty well for me. But for the last few studies the colors have increased to three and that threw me for a loop. So for a change of pace, I premixed three sets of colors into more defined piles. Using the warm light/cool shadows principle, I made a deep shadow color for the green, red-violet, and blue that were cooler in temperatures. Same thing with the shallow shadow set, and then warmer for the low light set. This process wasn’t exactly easier for me to start with, but it made the painting process smoother. I’ll try it a few more times to get a better feel for it.
I really enjoyed painting the river! Once I started to really look at it, it was amazing how many hues are in it. Lots of good opportunities for lost edges.
One thing I’d do differently with this study would be to go a bit lighter on the in-shadow areas to make the color changes more visible. The colors are just so dark that it’s hard to see the differences in hue. On my mind is the idea to go transparent/thin with darks but it seems to be obliterating those areas into almost black.