This recipe makes enough dough for three pan pizzas baked in a cast iron skillet or one pizza + breadsticks.
Whole Wheat Pan Pizza with Garlic and Spinach
Baking in a cast iron skillet helps provide lots of flavor in this pan pizza.
- 500 gm freshly-milled hard white wheat, with 125 gm separated out and set aside
- 1 1/3 c warm water
- 4 1/2 tsp instant yeast
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp white granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- shredded mozzarella (I use about 1 c per pizza)
- pizza sauce of choice (my favorite is this pizzeria style sauce recipe)
- 6–8 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed fairly dry
- Mix 375 gm flour, water, yeast, oil, sugar, and salt in a stand mixer with dough hook on medium low. Rest 15 min.
- Slowly add more flour as needed to make a soft dough. Mix 8–10 min.
- Form a ball, place in a bowl lightly coated with oil, cover, and rest at room temp. for 30 min.
- Divide dough into three equal parts and refrigerate any dough you’re not using right away.
- Preheat oven to 550° with a rack in the middle.
- Coat a cast iron skillet with 2 tbsp olive oil. Pat one of the dough balls into the skillet.
- Spread sauce to edge, then sprinkle with toppings, and cheese.
- Bake 11 min. in oven. The bottom side of the crust might be a little pale — if so, brown the skillet and pizza on a burner over high heat briefly to brown the underside. Keep a close eye on this because it can quickly go from browned to burnt.
- Rest for a minute, then cut into slices and serve. Top with shredded Parmesan if desired.