Making a quiche from scratch is entirely satisfying, but rather involved. There are several steps involved in preparing the crust and sauteing the onions and mushrooms. But the final dish is rich and savory — a delightful decadence. If you want it for breakfast, I recommend making it the day before to save yourself a hangry morning.
Whole Grain Baby Bella Mushroom and Onion Quiche
Made-from-scratch whole wheat crust with rich and flavorful mushroom and onion filling.
This recipe requires quite a bit of work and planning, but none of the steps are difficult. And the final result is worth the effort.
- 96 gm shortening, portioned into well-chilled chunks
- 180 gm freshly-milled soft white wheat, chilled in freezer until cold
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 3-4 tbsp ice water
- 2 eggs plus milk to come to 1 c total liquid
- 4 oz shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 8 oz baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- 1 onion, sliced thinly
- 1 tsp white sugar
- 2 tbsp butter
- Prepare the crust. Stir the salt into the flour. Dump this flour mixture onto the counter and smear shortening into it without letting it soften. Make a well, and add 2 tbsp ice water. Mix with fingertips, adding more water as needed. Form a disk, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate 30 min.
- Start preparing the filling. Saute onion in 1 tbsp butter. Season with salt and pepper. Continue cooking over low heat, adding sugar, until the onions are lightly caramelized.
- Finely chop mushrooms in remaining butter. Season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, after dough has been refrigerated 30 min., remove plastic and place the dough on a floured counter. Dust the top with flour and roll out lightly. Fold in thirds like a letter, brushing off the flour with a pastry brush. Turn 90° and roll again. Repeat 2–3 more times. Pat into a disk, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate again for 30 min.
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- After dough has set for 30 min., roll it out and place in a tart pan. Lay a sheet of aluminum foil on top of the dough, with the underside coated with non-stick spray. Fill with pie weights. Bake in preheated oven 10–15 min.
- Remove weights, prick crust, and bake another 4 min.
- Whisk together eggs and milk. Season with salt and pepper.
- Spread onions into prebaked shell. Layer 1/2 of the cheese. Add mushrooms, then rest of cheese. Pour egg mixture over top.
- Bake 10 min., then reduce heat to 325° and bake another 35 min. Cool until it’s your desired temperature.