This is the dough I used for my 7-inch Blueberry Pie with lattice top. After a year of baking different seasonal pies, it’s the one that stood out as my favorite because of it’s texture. It’s light and tender, not tough or chewy.
7-inch Double Crust Whole Wheat Pie Dough
Makes enough dough for a double crust 7-inch pie
- 96 grams shortening (Spectrum All Vegetable Shortening works great), cut into small chunks and chilled
- 180 grams finely-milled soft white wheat flour, chilled
- dash of salt
- 3-4 tablespoons ice water
- Combine the flour and salt, then cut in the chilled shortening until it’s pea-sized and smaller.
- Add 3 tablespoons of the ice water and lightly mix together, adding a bit more water if needed.
- Pat the dough into two disks, wrap in plastic, and refrigerate for a few hours.