With family in town recently, I wanted to make some banana bread that they could snack on for breakfast at their hotel.
Banana Bread from The Laurel’s Kitchen Bread Book
- used 5 large bananas, mashed mostly smoothly
- used juice from one lemon, measuring 2 tbsp
- used honey (not sugar)
- 188 grams of freshly-milled soft white wheat flour
- 63 grams of freshly-milled hard white wheat flour
- omitted nuts and dates
- placed loaf pan on a baking sheet and baked 40 minutes at 325° instead of (this oven runs hot)
I love this recipe because it’s not loaded with sugar and oil (and it’s designed for whole wheat flours), but it was a bummer to see that the middle was a bit soft and sticky when I sliced it. I was gun-shy about the bake time because my last banana bread was overly browned on the outside. However, this loaf could have stayed in the oven for about 5-10 more minutes.
It got good reviews from the eaters though. Even my nephew, who informed me he didn’t like banana bread, tried it and liked it. Which completely made me smile.