- front zip fly with bar tack
- hook closure
- mock welt pockets
- waistline facing
- 4-piece waistband for fitting
- slip-stitched hem
- made size 12 average fit
- made a fitting muslin, then took quite a bit off of the crotch/inseam on the pack piece and lowered the front waistline a little
- used a 100% cotton twill (no stretch)
- omitted front pockets
- omitted carriers (belt loops)
- finished waistband facing with serger instead of bias binding
I’m so glad I started with a fitting muslin on these pants, because it would have been really frustrating to make all of the changes necessary on the final fabric. On my first muslin there was a lot of fabric pooling under the “bum” as Kathy Ruddy puts it. I’m also really glad I had One Pattern, Many Looks: Pants to guide me through fitting. Even though it’s not a pants fitting class, Kathy provides excellent information on getting pants to fit well. I was able to use her instruction for seat fullness adjustments and for the crescent leg adjustment at the thigh. The pattern instructions for fine-tuning the fit would not have gotten me the fit I was after (or the fitted look as described on the pattern).
At a certain point I had to accept that this project was going to be slow-going. After spending pretty much a whole weekend on fit, it took me a couple of weeks to get through the final construction, sewn in little bits here and there. In the end, it was probably good to go slow because if I’d tried to power through making this pattern for the first time it could have led to frustration and exhaustion. Or a half-made-pants bonfire in the back yard.
I’m super happy with the final construction. Since I didn’t rush, stitching is clean and even, even where I had to stitch in the ditch around the waistband. The front zip fly took me a LONG time to get through, but it’s my first and it turned out well so I can’t complain. However, it’s awkward to zip them up using my left hand — the fly overlaps from right to left, but I apparently prefer pants that overlap from left to right.
My hope is that these pants soften and mold to my body over time. Right now they’re heavier and stiffer that I’d like or am used to. I really like pants with stretch, but I wanted to experiment with this twill to see how it went.
Adjustments for next time:
- switch fly from right to left
- lengthen the crotch depth on the back piece
- use the lightweight stretch denim in my fabric stash
- use a softer cotton for the waistband facing
- continue fiddling with the fit of the back upper thigh area
- finish the raw edges of the mock welt pocket flap
I’m also considering what it would take to turn this into my pants block, and using the fly installation technique from One Pattern. Many Looks: Pants.