Coco by Tilly and the Buttons
- used the contrast yoke alteration, with yoke made from thrift store t-shirt
- blended size 3 from the base of the armscye up, and size 2 from that point down
- trimmed 1/2 in. off the width of the hem on each pattern piece, reducing the flared hem by 2 in. total
- self-fabric armscye facing
After seeing how my last sleeveless Coco gaped at the armscye once I removed the facing to adjust the fit, I decided it would be a good idea to add that into the construction of this top. It helps polish the fit and finish enough that it’s worth the step.
I had to laugh once I put the finished top on — the area where I “blended” the two sizes at the underarm was quite prominent, not blended at all. The fabric pointed outward at the side seam because the the sharp curve I used. To fix it, I picked out some stitches at the top of the side seam and pinched it in, resewing that area. It improved the fit, but I lost patience and didn’t finish the topstitching of the armscye well. At some point that’ll need to be repaired, but in the mean time I get to enjoy a new sleeveless tee.
Since I’m using a thinner, stretchier jersey than the pattern recommends, there’s some neckline gaping going on. I may try a collar band next time to see if that helps.
Pattern adjustments for next time (sleeveless version):
- add 1/4″ to middle of back armscye
- remove 1/4″ from lower section of front armscye
- lower armscye 1/4″ at side seam
- reduce sharp curve at side seam from where I blended sizes 2 and 3