Deluxe Raisin Bread from The Laurel’s Kitchen Bread Book
- 110 gm raisins
- 3/4 c water
- 1 tsp instant yeast
- 1/4 c + 2 tbls warm water
- 2 tbls oil
- 1 tbls honey
- 395 gm freshly-milled hard white wheat flour
- 1 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Bring 3/4 c water to boil in a small sauce pan. Add raisins and simmer for 5 min. Then drain the raisins and pour the water into a measuring cup and add more water to bring the measure up to 3/4 c. Cool to lukewarm.
- Add oil, honey, and 1/4 c + 2 tbls warm water to raisin water and stir to combine.
- In a separate large bowl, mix the flour, salt, cinnamon, and yeast. Make a well in the center and pour in the liquid ingredients.
- Knead dough 300 times. Then press flat and pour raisins on top. Knead 100 more times to distribute the raisins.
- Shape into ball and rest, covered, for about 2 hours or until doubled in size. Deflate and shape into a ball and rest again for 1 hr.
- Shape dough for loaf pan and rest for 30 min. (I had to leave for a couple of hours, so at this point I refrigerated it during that time and set it out on the counter when I returned to preheat the oven.) Preheat oven to 340°. When dough has risen about an inch past the rim, bake for 1 hr, or until internal temp is 190-200°.
Last time I made this loaf, I followed the measurement of the raisins as instructed in the recipe, but there weren’t enough for my taste. I also sprinkled the cinnamon on top of the shaped dough instead of mixing it in to the dough. Increasing the raisins and mixing in the cinnamon was much better!
This bread makes the most wonderful toast, spread with some butter. Very addictive.