final sewing station bin

Sewing Station Bin

As I spend more time at my sewing machine, I’m noticing lots of ways I can improve the space. The first step was a thread rack to get those guys off the table and out of the way. Next up is a bin to hold thread clippings and small tools that get used often.

I sized this bin (inspired by the pattern I bought from Noodlehead) so that a large paper lunch bag would fit neatly inside, making it easy to dump out the trash. And the pockets in the front give me easy access to some things that kept getting lost in my plastic organizing bin.

The blue and white patterned fabric is Retro in Evening from the Betty Dear by Darlene Zimmerman line, and the navy is Kona Cotton. I bought them this week to run some test samples on my new sewing machine. But once I got them home, it was clear that they were too nice for that and needed a real project. The natural canvas and white lining fabric are SAS Fabrics bargains, so I don’t know much about what they actually are.

Topstitching! It was so fun to explore this technique more. I used a topstitching needle with two regular threads (one a natural color and the other khaki), which gives the look of a thick topstitching without needing to buy special thread.

For this bin, I used a non-fusible fleece interfacing — at least I think that’s what it was. It’s another item from SAS, so it’s also a bit of a mystery. But I liked sewing with it a lot more than the Pellon 71F because it was more flexible. The canvas provided some structure as well. It’s a softer-sided bin than the one I made for my knitting supplies.

I used one of my new bias tape makers to fold up the strip along the top of the large pocket. That thing is slick and really fun to use. Excellent use of a few bucks.

 

 

Next time I make this bin, I’d consider the following adjustments:

  • use a different approach on the patch pockets, leaving them unlined and like what would be on a shirt
  • line the large pocket with a fabric that matches the binding
  • use a higher quality fabric for the lining (although in this case, it’s completely hidden and being filled with a paper sack anyway)
  • run patch pockets all the way under the bottom
  • stop the channel stitches at the bottom fold instead of running underneath
Advertisements