After discovering that our little dog, Pipsqueak, likes apple I put together this recipe for Apple Oat Dog Treats, inspired by a recipe for Healthy Morning Poochidatis.
I didn’t bake them so long that they actually became crispy throughout like a typical dog biscuit. They’re more of a thin chewy bar.
Pipsqueak was happy to eat them, but she seemed to struggle with the chewy, non-crunchy texture. I’m not sure if I’d make them again — perhaps next time baking them longer would help. It also occurred to me after baking them that the fresh apple will shorten the shelf life, so they’ll take more care when storing. I like to store some in the refrigerator and the rest in the freezer, taking them out as needed.
Apple Oat Dog Treats
- 3 1/4 oz oat flour
- 5 oz freshly-milled hard white wheat flour
- 1 egg
- 1/3 c water
- 1 peeled and shredded apple
- Preheat oven to 400°. Line baking sheets with parchment.
- Mix all ingredients together and turn onto floured surface. Roll to 1/2 inch thick and cut out.
- Bake on lined sheets for 20-25 min or until they’re golden and crispy.
- Store in refrigerator, and freeze a portion if they won’t be eaten soon.