I was in the mood for tuna noodle casserole, but didn’t have enough eggs for the egg noodles I used last time. How to Cook Everything Vegetarian by Mark Bittman (a wonderful vegetarian cookbook!) has some good pasta recipes, including one for noodles without eggs.
I used about 2/3 of the noodle recipe for the casserole and set the rest aside for something else.
I made a few adjustments to my last recipe for the casserole:
- increased the amount of sauce by using 5 tbls butter, 5 tbls hard white wheat flour, and 2 cups milk
- increased peas to 1 1/2 c
- used 1/2 c shredded sharp cheddar
After sitting in the bowl while I prepared the rest of the casserole ingredients, the noodles got rather stuck together and a bit mushy, so they’re better used right away if a whole, separated noodle is the goal.
Sifting the flour before mixing helped the noodles stay whole while cooking, as opposed to falling apart as they typically do when I use unsifted flour.
Whole Wheat Eggless Noodles
Adapted from How to Cook Everything Vegetarian by Mark Bittman
- 10 oz freshly-milled hard white wheat
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbls olive oil
- 1/2 c warm water
- Sift flour to remove coarse bran (save the bran for something else — I add sifted bran in my green smoothies). Mix in salt. Add oil and water and mix together, adding extra water or flour as needed.
- Knead 5 min., keeping the dough firm.
- Wrap and rest for 30 min. or refrigerate overnight.