Recently I watched the Creative Ways with Whole Grains course on Craftsy.com. This course really inspired me to branch out with how I cook with whole grains. There are so many good-looking recipes included in the course materials (one at the top of my list is Farro Risotto with Mushrooms).
I had most of the ingredients needed for this Breakfast Quinoa. Instead of coconut milk, which I didn’t have, I used whole milk. It’s probably also delicious with the coconut milk.
I mixed some raisins into my breakfast quinoa and topped it with sliced banana, the toasted coconut, and a bit of cream. It was really tasty and hearty, and had a tropical flavor to it. I’d definitely make this one again.
Adapted from Breakfast Quinoa from Creative Ways with Whole Grains
- 1/2 cup red quinoa, rinsed well and drained
- 2/3 cup whole milk
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut, flaked or shredded
- fruit for topping
- Preheat oven to 400°. Spread coconut on a baking sheet and set aside.
- In a saucepan, stir together the quinoa, milk, water, brown sugar, maple syrup, and salt. Heat to a low boil, then lower heat and simmer for 15 minutes or until done. Stir occasionally.
- While quinoa is cooking, bake the coconut for 4 to 5 minutes, until lightly golden. When done baking, set aside to cool a bit.
- Divide cooked quinoa into bowls and top with some fruit and the coconut.