My raspberry freezer jam was nearing its expiration date, and I still had almost a full jar of it left. So I did some quick searching and came across a recipe for raspberry jam bars that also used rye flour, which is another pantry item that hasn’t been getting enough use lately.
- used freshly-milled soft white wheat flour in place of plain flour
- baked the bars in an 8-inch square pan rather than 9-inch pan
- used dark brown sugar instead of light brown sugar for topping
- used homemade raspberry freezer jam
- cut into 12 bars instead of 16 bars
I wasn’t thrilled with the large amount of butter in these bars, but there’s no denying the delicious effect. They’re very yummy, and they make a great sweet ending to a meal. They’re also on the menu for breakfast this week, along with some yogurt for protein.
If I were to make these again, I’d use half as much butter for the crumble topping and perhaps just reduce the amount of crumble all together. There was more than enough to cover the bars.